Titles: Pottermore Presents…
1. Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies
2. Short Stories from Hogwarts of Power, Politics and Pesky Poltergeists
3. Hogwarts: An Incomplete and Unreliable Guide
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publication date: 6 September 2016
Pages: 68 / 63 / 79
Buy on Pottermore / Buy on Amazon
This series of three short ebooks brings together material previously published on Pottermore and acts as a mini encyclopedia of Hogwarts and the wider wizarding world. It really shows the breadth and depth of the world J.K. Rowling has created and her detailed knowledge of even the most minor characters. After the disappointment felt by many at The Cursed Child script, this is just what we needed; it’s a perfect way to jump back into the Harry Potter world.
Here are some of my favourite facts from the books:
- Professor McGonagall and Peter Pettigrew were both Hatstalls, meaning the Sorting Hat spent over five minutes selecting their house.
- The cat plates in Umbridge’s office are from a collection called ‘Frolicsome Feline’.
- Lupin’s parents were Lyall Lupin (the name ‘Lyall’ is derived from ‘wolf’) and Hope Howell (yes, Howell!)
- Platform 9¾ isn’t the only hidden platform at King’s Cross.
- There is a portrait of the first Minister for Magic hanging in No. 10 Downing Street, which is used to communicate with the Muggle Prime Minister in times of crisis.
- Slughorn’s full name is Horace Eugene Flaccus Slughorn.
It’s worth stating again that this is not new material, but if the Pottermore format isn’t for you, these ebooks are a great way to read more from J.K. Rowling’s brain. I only hope that they might one day be released as clothbound hardbacks. Those MinaLima cover designs are screaming out for some gold foiling!